Need a beautifully designed high tech, high performing environmentally friendly bicycle? Forget carbon fiber,
aluminum or titanium, get wood! That's right, high performance wooden bicycles from
Portland based Renovo. These rare beauties starting at around $2,300, feature frames that are
exquisitely hand-crafted from Black Walnut, Cedar, Hickory, Maple or Bamboo; and which rival most exotic materials
for stiffness, fatigue life and weight.
As people become increasingly aware of the countless benefits of having a bicycle constructed from wood, the R4 Pursuit (shown above) just might become more commonplace on the workout trails then you think.
Here are some benefits of having a bicycle constructed out of wood...
- Lightweight; a frame weighs from 3.5 to 4.5 pounds--bikes, 16.5 to 20 pounds.
- A magically smooth ride thanks to wood's unique ability to absorb vibration--you
feel the difference immediately.
- Stiffness to order: from carbon-stiff hickory and others, to the supple
smoothness of laminated bamboo; you can tailor the stiffness and ride to
what you want, not just what comes off a production line.
- The hardwood frame is remarkably tough. It easily withstands
impacts that ruin butted metal or carbon frames.
- The fatigue life of wood rivals carbon and is substantially
longer than aluminum or steel. The Renovo is an heirloom quality frame.
- The Renovo frame is environmentally friendly, with sustainable woods,
bamboo and low VOC waterborne sealers and finishes